Sunday, May 30, 2010

Steve McCurry Exhibit




Last Sunday we went to see an exhibit of Steve McCurry's photos in the Main Gallery of the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts in Seoul.  The collection was fairly extensive, with some amazing pictures on display.  I didn't take many pictures at the museum, and none of the photographs on display, but I found several of my favorites online.  The picture he is most famous for was taken in 1984 of a young girl from Afghanistan:


In 2002, after the United States went to war in Afghanistan, Steve McCurry went to find her.  At the museum they had the National Geographic special about his quest to find her playing on repeat, we watched the entire thing.  It was very interesting, and seemed almost hopeless.  Spoiler alert, click here if you want to know what happens.  Here are some of my favorite photos:









The last one is a little boy in Peru, it was the most moving photo on display in my opinion, the little boy's emotions are overwhelming.  We also decided it is a toy gun, so the boy wasn't actually in danger while the picture was being taken, if you were wondering.  You can look through tons of Steve McCurry's work on his website, if you are interested.  Click on Galleries and you can choose from the different themes his photos are separated into.  If you just want to read a little bit more information about McCurry, and don't feel like going to a slow flash-based website, here is his Wiki page.

Also, since Youtube is not going to let me upload videos from South Korea, I signed up with Vimeo today.  All seven videos from the soccer game that I put on Facebook are now on my Vimeo page, which can be found here.  I'll also add a permanent link to it over on the right side of my blog.  My camera can record at 60 fps, so it captures any action/movement fairly well, but the quality just isn't that great.  I've been thinking about getting an HD videocamera for a while, maybe after a couple paychecks I'll buy one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment